Judge Marmaro specializes in business and commercial litigation, as well as intellectual property, entertainment, securities, business dissolution and labor/employment. While on the bench, Judge Marmaro also presided over family law and general and complex civil litigation. Judge Marmaro has a reputation for creating bridges to bring parties together, seeing both sides of an argument and for understanding the complexity and sensitivity of the matters he’s resolving.
Judge Marmaro was a partner and founding member of Jeffer, Mangels, Butler and Marmaro (now Jeffer, Mangels, Butler and Mitchell) where he tried numerous cases to verdict and judgement.
Finally, after more than 35 years as a litigator in state and federal courts, he was appointed to the Los Angeles Superior Court where he served for nearly 8 years.
- The Superior Court of California, County of Los Angeles, Judge (2010-2018)
- Jeffer, Mangels, Butler and Marmaro
(now Jeffer, Mangels, Butler and Mitchell), Founding Partner (1981-2010)
- Manatt, Phelps and Phillips, Partner 1979-1981
Southern District of New York, Assistant United States Attorney (1975-1978)
- Debevoise & Plimpton LLP, Associate (1973-1975)
- Third U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals, Law Clerk to Hon. John J. Gibbons (1972-1973)
ACHIEVEMENTS, AWARDS & MEMBERSHIPS
- American College of Trial Lawyers, Fellow (2009)
- Daily Journal, Top 100 Lawyers in California (2005)
- Daily Journal, Top 10 Intellectual Property Litigator's for Entertainment (2008)
- California Lawyer, Attorney of the Year (2004)
- Los Angeles Times Magazine, Southern California's Best Lawyers
EDUCATION & TRAINING
- J.D., New York University School of Law, Order of the Coif
- B.A., The George Washington University